header-photo

Compliment or No?

I got a weird compliment this week while in training. I was told (by someone originally from the northern regions o' the US) that I didn't seem like I was from Alabama or the South. I'm not sure what this meant, but I have been told by folks before that they were surprised when I revealed my uber conservative stance. We didn't talk politics though so that was ruled out. I think it was one of three things...

A. I have a brain (aka wow they produce engineers down South)
B. I don't have an accent
C. A mixture of the two

Whether A, B or C, someone (or some state/region) was insulted. If it was A then Alabama and the South were insulted by basically being called dumb. If it was B then I'm a little sad about that, but I have gotten that before. My accent comes and goes. If it was C then, all of us were insulted some, and by us I mean Alabama, the South, and me. Apparently, we're a group of buddies now.

Anyways, just wanted to share this with you. It was something that stuck with me.

Oh and while we're on the topic of my accent. Some guy in Chicago asked me where in Australia I was from once. This was last year when I had just finished my first training class.

That week in a nutshell went like this...got a rental car that measured distance in kilometers instead of miles so all my Google maps were worthless, managed to acquire 2 missed toll fines after missing an exit twice, was called out by a homeless guy for being Mariah Carey (and by called out I mean he screamed it a billion times while on the train), got lost in a pretty scary neighborhood but stopped and got gas there anyways, sat at the airport for 5 hours only to have my flight canceled last minute, and didn't get a flight until the next day at 8 in the morning.

Needless to say, this guy cheered me up quite a bit when he asked me this because it was the dinner I had after leaving the airport due to my wonderful last minute cancelation. On that note, cheers!

0 comments: