header-photo

A Bit Much for Me

My week in a nutshell...
1. Saw real live dead bodies (huh?)
2. Accepted a two month job in Mexico
3. Retracted my acceptance of a two month job in Mexico
4. Got tickets to see one of the greatest athletes of all times (in Birmingham...really?)

I took the weekend to myself after this week. It was a bit much for my mind to process not to mention that the boss was in town, and I had my first end of the year review.

I went to ATL last weekend for the broseph's bday, and we went to Bodies...The Exhibition which for those of you who don't know is "a phenomenal look at the phenomenon we call the human body." Love the play on words there. It's an exhibition of bodies from people who "gave their lives to science," and I quote that because apparently there's a huge controversy on whether or not the people actually did. Something to do with Chinese prisons and execution.

Bodies starts with the skeletal system, then adds muscles, the nervous system, etc. After getting over the fact that I was looking at the dead body of a person who was alive not too long ago (this took me about two rooms), I thoroughly enjoyed it. They had rooms dedicated to different systems of the body such as the reproductive system. They showed what organs with cancer and brain hemorrhaging looked like. It sounds gross, but I learned a lot. I could have probably spent all day in there. Lets just say I've counted it as my substitute for Anatomy 101 (since I never took it).

Oh and I got to touch a liver at the end. That's right. And then we went to lunch. Ha!

James Taylor sings a pretty nice song about Mexico, and that was all I could think after being asked to help out with a project in Mexico...for two months. I said yes within an hour thinking that this was a once in a lifetime shot, and then I realized I didn't know anything about where I was going to be or what I was going to be doing or who I was going to be with. This would normally be exciting for me, but I came up with a few reasons that changed my mind.
  • Travel advisory for Mexico went up after a US ambassador was killed
  • Fox News article about Mexico collapsing due to drug cartels
  • Young American female in sketch foreign country
  • Cannot speak Spanish and would only have a month to learn
  • Noone to watch after mi casa while gone
  • Remember the movie Man on Fire? Well it's not just kids that are kidnapped all of the time in Mexico.
  • Pretty big deal in Tennessee that I could co-lead
Needless to say, I successfully talked myself out of the trip. I'm hoping that a project in Italy will come up soon. Don't worry though. I had a consolation prize: tickets to Davis Cup in Birmingham. USA vs Switzerland (cough cough Federer). Heck yes! Lets just say it was a win, win, win situation. If I didn't get the Davis Cup tickets...there was a dog show in Franklin that same weekend. What a great life I lead!

Thank God this week is over.

0 comments: