header-photo

Beauty Pageants and Beth (Never thought I'd hear those two mentioned together. Ever.)

Two blogs in one day...lucky you. So I'm going to sound like a total dork, but I already have some blogs written. Noone ever told me that you can't blog well...without a blog so while traveling for work I pulled out the trusty old pen and paper and got to work. I thought I would use a font that looked like my handwriting. You don't have to tell me...I know that I'm super clever. I would like to thank my Intro to Engineering course for teaching me the lovely language of HTML (it only cost $400 right?).

Here she goes...


I never thought that I would hear myself say this but...I wish had participated in more pageants when I was younger. And by pageants I mean scholarship programs, and by more I mean any. Let me explain this proposterous statement.


I came to the realization the other day at work that I am not very good with on the spot questions. I was asked a very simple question that I knew the answer to, but I just gave a simple "I don't know. I'm not good with that kind of stuff." Really?!?! I'm not good with that kind of stuff. The "stuff" that I was referring to pertained to my job, my education, and everything that I had studied for the past couple of years. AND I KNEW THE ANSWER.


I have also found myself in similar situations answering questions with an "I don't understand the question" which is such a lie because I totally understand the question.


So this is how I came to the conclusion of more pageant experience being a good thing. The interview and on stage question. These are a huge percentage of your overall score although I could not give you the specific percentage because that would mean I knew way more than I wanted to about pageants (no offense to all of the pageant girls out there).


You go into the interview knowing all of the answers ahead of time. No they don't give you the questions that they are going to ask you, but they do ask you questions about yourself, your experience, your platform (if you have one), and anything else that has to do with you. So you should already know the answers to these questions, but it's the whole "on the spot"-ness that makes this difficult at times.


I know that the safest bet in the dreaded (for me at least) "on the spot" question situation is to take a deep breath and allow yourself to process the question and think of the answer. Easier said than done. And you know what? I think this would be somewhat easier for me if I had a good amount of experience with this which I could have obtained via pageant experience.


Just an FYI...if you had told me that my first nonintroductory (did I just make up a word) blog would be on beauty pageants I would have laughed in your face and probably managed to get a little bit of spit on you while I was at it. But it is what it is.
Feel free to enjoy it again and again because I am almost 99.9% sure that I will never write another blog with the main subject being beauty pageants.

5 comments:

trey said...

It's practice time... If crowned Miss America, what changes would you make in the world to make it a better place for everyone? lol.

Beth said...

If crowned Miss America, the first step I would take in making the world a better place...I'm buying myself time here like they do in the pros...would be to find a way to create world peace.

I guess I could never take it seriously.

Sarah said...

bdub,

I would have LOVED to compete against you in Lee
County's Junior Miss. Having accomplished that feat, my life is justified.

Yeah right. I agree with you, though, there is a lot to be said about learning how to interview/public speaking. I credit my success in those areas to government and judicial clubs in high school where we were definitely put "on the spot." I told my mom the other day that I was so glad I participated in those "nerdy" clubs.

So glad you're blogging- I'll definitely be a reader!

Sarah

Beth said...

Smalls! Funny you should mention government club because I totally did it my senior year, and I definitely remember your team.

Although our team never won many style points, we did win every case so I pride myself in that. I mean do you want a lawyer that plays by the rules or wins the cases? Only kidding.

Glad to see you on here. I better see you and the mister in Nash soon.

Unknown said...

You'll always win the spot of Miss Congeniality in my heart.