header-photo

just do...nothing?

I totally meant to mention this a while back...but I didn't. So here it goes. All of the ladies of my family have a year subscription to Real Simple. Why besides the fact that it is an amazingly wonderful magazine? Well I bought a sub for my sis last year for Christmas (which included a free sub for me), and my mom liked the idea so much she did the same thing for her sis (and her).

SO my fave article of all the ones I've read so far is 10 Ways to Enjoy Doing Nothing. I am very attracted to the art of doing nothing, and I've pretty much mastered it if I do say so myself. Well any chance I get to read a "nothingness" or "relaxation" article, I jump right on it. I was not surprised when I read this particular article, and each way was something I had done within the last 24 hour span. Alright. Maybe I'm stretching it a bit. I didn't lay in a field...just my shared backyard.

Anyways I'm reading along, and I get to Numero Cinco. And I quote...
5. Play the ukulele. The ukulele is the sound of not working. My wife hates it for that very reason: The twang of those strings means that I am not doing something useful around the house. I keep my ukulele in the kitchen and play it at odd moments, like while I’m waiting for the kettle to boil.
Love it. I had just started playing the uke at this point, and since reading this article whenever I feel like relaxing/doing nothing I pick up my uke. What a break from the day or the world for that matter.

I will say I have him beat though...I've played my uke while sitting at a red light. At least I'm not texting. Holler.

0 comments: