header-photo

Hair...Hmmm

I was looking at my vlog below earlier, and I realized something was a little off. Well I had the mirror image on my webcam turned on so while that is what I see when I look in the mirror everyone else sees me the completely opposite way. Funny, huh?

So I got to thinking...why does my hair part to that specific side? Yes. Some people would have immediately dropped the topic there, but this is how my brain works. I know that this is something that you have always wanted to know (and some of you probably do). I decided to Google "why does hair part to one side." The results gave me three good theories (two leaning towards scientific and one more based on personality).

Scientific
The Nose Theory
This theory is used by some hairdressers and states that everyone's nose angles to one side, either toward the left or the right. Proponents of this method say that if your nose leans to the left, you should part your hair on the left and brush it to the right. Accordingly, if your nose is right leaning, part your hair on the right and brush it to the left. By causing your hair to go the opposite way of your nose you will create a balance in your facial appearance.In addition, a center part will draw attention or "point to" your nose. So if you have a large or unattractive nose, you will want to stay away from the center part.

I couldn't really do much with this one seeing as how my nose is pretty round so I can't even find the "point" let alone where it is pointing. I hope this doesn't mean that my facial appearance is totally unbalanced. I don't know what I would do if that were the case.

The Eye Theory

Everyone has one eye that is prettier than the other. In this method, the part is placed over the center of your prettier eye. This will accent the pretty eye while not drawing so much attention to the less attractive eye. As a hairdresser, I have used both the Eye and the Nose Theory in designing a style. However, the following theory is new to me and deserves some thought.

I always thought one of my eyes was a little lazy, and if this theory holds true then my part is definitely helping me draw more attention to my prettier eye. This is when I started to feel good about my part.

Personality (and somewhat scientific once reading it again)
The Gender Theory
This one says that when a person puts a part in their hair, they are emphasizing either the right or left brain functioning. According to the study by Catherine Walter and John Walter called The Effects of Hair Parting on Social Appraisal and Personal Development, others make subconscious assumptions about you from the way you part your hair.

1. Men with a Left Part
The left part works well for men. They are seen as popular, successful, strong and traditional although possibly out of touch with their feminine side.

2. Women with a Left Part

This is good for women interested in a career in politics or business. They are perceived as intelligent, in charge, and reliable. Sometimes they are perceived as overly masculine and this can create difficulties in fulfilling traditionally feminine roles.

This one is me! And it is totally me. I mean I am working in a man's profession for sure. I am all for the gender theory because although it did call me overly masculine I took everything else as a complete compliment.

3. Men with a Right Part
The right part is not natural for men. It can create an uncomfortable image, and is sometimes perceived as radical. However it can work for the man who is very self-confident or striving to be respected in a non-traditional role.

4. Women with a Right Part

This is natural for women. It is seen as very feminine, gentle and caring, however it can sometimes cause the problem of not being taken seriously.

5. Men and Women with No part, Center Part or Bald

This is perceived as natural for men and women. It is perceived as balanced, trustworthy and wise although it can lack the flair associated with the other types.

This one just made me laugh. I know that some people choose to be bald (aka not sick or the victim of bad genes) so I'm now going to consider those people fakes. I mean come on guys...just deal with your receding hairline, okay? Thank you very much.

You can read the entire article on the gender theory HERE. And why not? You've already wasted a good five or 10 minutes of your day.

0 comments: