header-photo

tennis, anyone?

Football season is over. Well, for the most part...I still get to cheer against the Patriots in the playoffs. Cheering against any New England based pro team is one of the things I do best. Not to brag. Since football is over, it's officially time to move on to the next sport...tennis (you thought I was going to say basketball, didn't you?).

Now for those of you who are saying I just can't really get into tennis. Well, shame on you. Just kidding. But seriously. Most people that "can't get into tennis" just don't understand the sport that well and need to learn more about it before writing it off so quickly. Once you understand the general jist of the game though, it's great fun to watch and play. Believe me.

Tennis isn't the same game of grace and touch that it used to be although some players that excel in those areas are still at the top of the game. Tennis these days is a ridiculously physically demanding game. Just look at some of the men and women that are successful at the game. Most sports are physically demanding though, so what sets it apart from the footballs and basketballs of the world? The mental toughness it takes to play this sport. Just ask Dinara Safina.

When playing a singles match, you have no one there to blame but yourself, you have no one there to help you regroup but yourself, you have no one there to coach you...you guessed it...but yourself. Everything is riding on you and you only. There aren't many sports you can say the same about, and believe me, it can take a serious toll on a player. I did break a racket or two in my day.

I am really excited about this year in tennis. For the past couple of years, I have expended most of my tennis energy cheering for Federer (and the newbie Oudin as of Wimbledon 2009) and against the Williams sisters and Nadal. Not this year though.

Two of my faves, Clijsters and Henin, that retired before their time to enjoy a normal life were reminded that they just weren't that mediocre.


So they are back in the game, and with Clijsters returning to the majors last year via a wildcard spot in the US Open and taking the trophy home, I'd say they really haven't lost much of their abilities while being away from the game. Plus, they've already proven that they are ready to dominate the year by meeting in the finals in the first tournament of the year (and Henin's first tournament back). Get ready, 2010.

0 comments: