header-photo

archived post: norah jones

What do I have to say about FINALLY getting to see Norah Jones live at my favorite venue ever...a lot. So here it goes.

First of all, it was pretty awesome to know that Norah was just as excited to play at the Ryman as I was to see her play at the Ryman. I mean after all (as she explained) she did play her first song ever at the Ryman with Willie Nelson.

She played quite the variety, and I was pleased with her song selection. Who am I kidding though? I love all of her songs. I was surprised to see her not only play the guitar for a good amount of the songs but completely rock it. I mean you try to play riffs while singing (I just hope that most of the time I can get strumming patterns down while singing). It's harder than hard, and she made it look easy.

For those fans that strictly love her piano playing ways, she did have a small set where it was just her and the piano. She played Cold, Cold Heart, Man of the Hour, and Don't Know Why (classic). Pretty magical.

After I thought the concert could not get any better...it did. Her encore was completely acoustic. Her and the band used a single mic that was used back in the Grand Ole Opry days, AND they played Creepin' In. This is one of my faves of hers, and she had not been playing it in her recent sets so I was more than thrilled. I almost felt like Dolly was about to walk onto the stage and join in.

For those of you who are fans, you HAVE to see her live. For those of you who aren't fans, you STILL HAVE to see her live... and what is wrong with you? She has always had one of my favorite voices. If I could describe it in two words they would be smooth and calming. Those of you who are familiar probably already know this and also probably won't believe this when I tell you...

Her voice is even better live.

Funny sidenote: I called my mom during the show so she could listen to some of her favorites (like I did with Regina). Well she listened to three or four songs, so I called her afterwards to see if she liked it. Turns out my dad was the one listening since my mom was already asleep when I called. Oh Pops.

0 comments: